We have a group of friends who love to tent camp together – we have travelled to many of the Minnesota state parks together. Of the group, most of us are “foodies,” and enjoy creating dishes to share with each other. We traditionally have a pot luck one evening, and everyone brings a dish to share. Being Minnesotans, of course, hot dish (folks in other states probably call them casseroles) is a favorite!
Camping friend Kelly was camping with her family the other weekend, and she test drove her new Lodge cast iron camp oven. She sent Anna and I her recipes and photos of her creations.
So for those of you who would like to try outdoor cooking with an authentic Minnesota hot dish prepared in your camp oven (go vintage!), here is Kelly’s recipe for Tater Tot hot dish!
Kelly’s Tater Tot Hot Dish
• 36 oz ground beef
• 1/2 tsp onion powder
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
Brown the ground beef with above seasonings, cool and store in gallon ziplock bag. This should be done at home – it makes it really easy to prepare the rest of the dish at the campsite!
Additional ingredients to bring along on your camping trip:
• 1 can green beans
• 1 can corn
• 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
• 1 can cheddar cheese soup
• 2 cups shredded cheese
• 2 – 28 oz packages of tater tots (find them in the freezer section)
• Butter inside of camp oven
• Add all ingredients except the tater tots to the oven and mix together
• Place the tater tots on top of the mixture
• Bake in the oven over coals (and with coals on the flanged lid, too) until mixture is bubbling and tater tots are golden
Kelly said it took about 1:15 hr to cook, and her family loved it.
Thanks for sharing, Kelly!